New years resolutions

Yeah I know its a bit late. But I already mentally wrote it. It's a waste of material :O And this blog is in need of a rambling post :P

So, every year, people tend to change their lives and do things differently because they learned from their mistakes last year right ? I always thought this was ridiculous because how are a bunch of empty promises going to help anyone? And yet, there are a lot of things that happened last year that I can honestly say taught me something. So from that, these are my resolutions for 2010:
  1. Do better in school. It pains me every time I think about how many times a teacher or someone said "you could do a lot better than that". At first I thought "what the hell? How do YOU know I can do better? What if this is my limit and I'm just really dumb?" Now, I'm not saying that my grades were bad. Cause they weren't. They're kinda average but, when I think about it, last year wasn't very beneficial. I didn't try as hard as I could/should have. I mean, sure it was a fun year, but it wasn't productive. That's where I went wrong.
  2. Get the timing right. I have a bad habit of saying and doing things. before thinking about the consequences, which tend to result in misunderstandings and generally unpleasant experiences on my part. Two times in particular. Let's not go into detail. But I spoke too late and missed out. Thinking I learned my lesson, I said something a lot earlier than I should have. Yeah, didn't work out well. Third time lucky yeah?
  3. Know what I want. So there have been many instances last year that made me think "hmm, maybe I shouldn't have asked for this". They're the kinda moments where the phrase "be careful what you wish for" really applies. I thought I wanted what I asked for, but when I actually got it, I. Wanted. Out.
  4. And finally, learn to accept change. This is probably the biggest lesson I learned When I was in the Philippines, I was talking to my Singapore sister and she was telling me about how, in Singapore, everything is temporary. Nothing is there for a long time. The shopping centres are continuously being rebuilt, the atmosphere is forever changing and even the friends you make don't last long cause chances are, they're only there for a project and will be gone in 1-3 years. 5 if you're lucky. After learning this, I asked her "Isn't it lonely then?" Her answer? "No, you get used to it. And it stops you getting too attached to things." This is something I need to learn to accept. I am generally a VERY sentimental person and I hate the idea of change. I appreciate the power of time and the things it could do to life, but it doesn't mean I welcome it. I need to learn how to embrace change, maybe see the good that can come of it and stop using words like 'forever', 'always' and 'never' cause in reality, what do these words even mean? No one can promise things like this cause with the rapidity of change, these words don't mean a thing.

Comments

Popular Posts